Women Gaining Ground
Women helping women through education and employment
Are you a woman looking for a meaningful and significant way to help other women in our city? We invite you to join United Way Toronto’s Women Gaining Ground — a group of like-minded, professional women who want to make a personal impact in the lives of women facing poverty through their donation and volunteer efforts. Celebrating its fifth anniversary, Women Gaining Ground focuses on the education and employment of women as a means of fostering self-reliance, while sharing United Way Toronto’s mission to improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
Each Women Gaining Ground member donates $5,000 or more toward a group gift that is significant and meaningful to selected programs every year. Members also act as both donors and key decision-makers through an annual grant selection process. You’ll find that Women Gaining Ground combines the benefits of a small giving circle with great opportunities to interact with United Way Toronto agencies and programs.
2012 Projects Women Gaining Ground invested in
In 2012, the members of Women Gaining Ground chose to support four outstanding projects and initiatives happening in our city.
They included: Women Moving Forward, an award-winning poverty reduction program for sole-support mothers; Jessie’s Centre for Young Women, an award-winning centre for young mothers; Interpreter Services Toronto at the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, a social enterprise that provides free training and certification for immigrant and refugee women; and Homeward Bound, a four-year housing program that addresses the multiple barriers facing female-led single-parent families.
Benefits of Joining United Way Toronto’s Women Gaining Ground
By joining Women Gaining Ground, you’ll get the opportunity to:
- Learn about issues affecting women and their families
- Hear about innovative programs addressing these issues
- Make a personal impact through a group gift
- Volunteer your time and skills to the projects we support
- Join in events with others who feel passionate about helping women gain ground
Women Gaining Ground hosts discussion on challenges facing marginalized women
Special guests Amanda Dale, Executive Director, Barbra Schlifer Clinic and Alyssa Manning, Lawyer, Refugee Law Office, spoke about important issues marginalized women face. Women Gaining Ground members learned about the difficulty some newcomer women experience when navigating Canada’s immigration system, as well as the progress being made.
The evening’s emcee, Harleen Bains, Managing Director at RBC Capital Markets, guided the event agenda and helped to facilitate an interactive and informative question-and-answer period. United Way would like to recognize the extraordinary leadership of Women Gaining Ground 2013 Co-Chairs Francesca Shaw, Senior Vice-President, TD Bank Group and Godyne Sibay, Partner, McCarthy Tétrault LLP.
Join Us Now
Learn more now about United Way Toronto’s Women Gaining Ground and the programs being supported, opportunities for engagement and our history.
Email United Way Toronto’s Women Gaining Ground at email@example.com or call 416-777-1444, ext. 312.
Women Gaining Ground’s Achievements
- In 2012, 63 Women Gaining Ground members raised a record $425,000 for the community. Women Gaining Ground has raised a total of $1,195,000 since its inception.
- Women Gaining Ground has been chosen as one of the recipients of Shorcan’s 2013 Charity Day. A subsidiary of the Toronto Stock Exchange, every year Shorcan invites 20 charities to open the trading floor and donate one day’s worth of their revenue.
- Women Gaining Ground will be celebrating their 6th anniversary in 2013.