Opportunities for Engagement
Opportunities for Engagement
As a member of Women Gaining Ground, there are a wide variety of opportunities for you to engage in, such as workshops, agency tours, charity events, career mentoring, committees, and more, including:
In order to prepare for their new careers, the women of Homeward Bound and Women Moving Forward need exposure to the corporate environment, as well as to basic business skills training. Women Gaining Ground members have the opportunity to host a training session at their office. Topics include Power Dynamics in the Workplace, Time Management/Stress Management and Communication in the Workplace. The hosting Women Gaining Ground member will organize the session, facilitate training or ask others to train or assist (internal trainers or other Women Gaining Ground members). Sessions are designed to be one and a half hours in length and held during business hours, typically during college breaks, with five to 15 attendees per session.
Women Gaining Ground has developed three subcommittees members can become involved in:
- Grants Advisory Committee: Meets in March and decides the funding project(s) for the year. All Women Gaining Ground members are invited to the
annual selection meeting in March where they are able to vote for their preferred project.
- Cultivation and Networking Committee: Members of this committee organize cultivation/networking activities throughout the year to educate members and prospective members on the programs being supported as well provide opportunities for members to better connect with each other.
- Engagement Committee: Chaired by Cathy Cronin with the support of the volunteer members for organizing the specific engagement opportunities.
The opportunity to have women from Homeward Bound connect with and be mentored by a professional woman is key to understanding the steps required for Homeward Bound women to succeed as they take their first steps into the professional world and their future careers. Having a mentor not only helps with personal growth and development, it also builds confidence and provides a trusted advisor who can be relied upon for their knowledge, perspective and independence.
The Industry Council/Corporate Membership
The Homeward Bound Industry Council is the secret to Homeward Bound’s success. This group of dedicated private and public sector partners provides:
- Internships: meaningful learning opportunities within their organizations that allow our participants to develop critical skills in their chosen professions.
- Job placements: 18-month placements in career track positions at a competitive salary for our graduates.
- Expertise: representation from each member’s senior executive team on the Industry Council, providing leadership advice at quarterly advisory meetings.
Homeward Bound is looking for engaged partners from a variety of sectors who can help the women secure challenging internships and rewarding full-time positions.
To get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-777-1444, ext. 312.